I have been thinking a lot about the past year lately because Payton was turning 1. I was trying to think of what I had done this past year - what have I accomplished. I have felt like the past year was a year of survival - do what needed to get done to survive and nothing else. The things on my list included moving into a new house and having a baby. Two significant events - but only 2. Two in one year. That was it. I then realized I was thinking of accomplishments as tangible items. So I made a new list of intangible items.
1. Did I tell my kids/husband I loved them everyday? Yes.
2. Were my kids happy? Yes
3. Did my kids hear me bear my testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ? Yes.
4. Did I attend the temple? Yes.
5. Did I serve somone? Yes
6. Did I make a difference to someone? I believe I did.
7. Was I honest? Yes.
8. Did I learn something? Yes.
So while I may not have a house full of cute crafts, or homemade quilts or even pictures on my walls (all of which I hope to be able to accomplish at some point), I realized this past year wasn't just a year of survival. It was a year of accomplishments. A year I could be proud of.
Friday, December 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
Thanks Paige, this is something I really needed to hear, 2011 will be like this for me, with baby #4 due in 2 weeks, I know my life will be all about survival but I am going to use your list to help me realize what is important. Thank you!!
Well I'd say those are some very worthwhile accomplishments!
thanks for the reminder. there are always so many things i want to get done and they just don't always happen. but tangible things are NOT the most important. so true.
Oh, I love this. You are awesome Paige. Thanks for sharing this. And also, happy birthday to little Miss Payton! She's such a doll and hallelujah for dream sleeping babies!
a great post. i run into this when i write a christmas letter-- what on earth did i do this year? i didn't graduate from college or get a new job. sometimes it's hard to be a mom because the accomplishments are small and intangible. thanks for the reminder about what's really important.
I'll be honest I cried a little. You are such a great mom Paiger. This post inspired me not to fold my laundry today but hang out with the boys. If Matt questions that I wil send him here. Just kidding. It was really nice to reat this and realize that small stuff really matters. Love you.
You are such an amazing person!! I certainly look up to you. Also, I'm pretty sure your house is super cute. Just saying :)
Just what I loved to hear. I think that is the best thought for the day. Accomplishments,the Lord's way. Thanks, Paige. Life is too short not to do the right things. Wish I could go back...some regrets, but at the same time, much JOY. That word ENJOY brought me to my senses years ago..."I gave you 5 children....did you enjoy them?" "I gave you a Temple near your home, did you enjoy attending?" "I gave you the opportunity to serve...did you enjoy your service to others." I am proud of you, Paiger...thanks again.
I loved this post and thank you for the reminder of the important things. You are doing things the right way!
Thanks I needed that-and that Paiger is why I love you!! You are such a great person. I hope you had a good b-day and your sweet little Payton as well!
Did you serve someone? Yes, you did. Me. And you did it well. Thank you for being an incredible friend.
Did I make a difference to someone? Once again, yes, you did. To me. It was so hard to move out of the country, and to have you put together a wonderful event to send me off, really helped more than words can say.
You are such a wonderful person that so many of us admire and look up to, simply because of the reason you have listed. You have been an inspiration to me and also my daughter, who really looks up to you.
Thank you, Paiger. You are loved.
I love you too and I know that life can be so busy that sometimes we wonder at the end of the day what we did. thanks for the reminder that we are all doing the "best" kinds of things.
i reallly like this post. and am very glad you didn't stop at "but only two..." although even if there were only those two really big events, it would be plenty! because we all know that moving is not just one event it's lots of little events sprawling out over a calendar and i can only imagine that having a baby is 40 +/- weeks of event after event after event.
Paige, thanks for posting this. Having three has definitely put me in survival mode. I get pretty down on myself too because I feel like I don't get anything else done that I want to, other than take care of my kids. But, thanks for the reminder. I need to think like this more often.
It's good to catch up with the Jones'! The last nine months have been mostly survival for us too (is it the third child thing), so this is a great reminder!
Post a Comment